Alarm lockup firmware bug

Instructions, hints and discussion for constructors of our first 5-tube nixie clock.
Tony
Site Admin

Alarm lockup firmware bug

Post by Tony »

Well the inevitable bug turned up :oops:.

When the alarm is activated, deactivating it using the IR sensor can cause the clock to lock up and not respond to the proximity sensor until powered down and reset (either by removing the processor from the board or waiting for the backup capacitor to discharge).

The IR sensor has 3 levels of distance sensing, normally only 2 of these are used but the third was at one point intended to be used for the alarm disable. In the final code it wasn't but the link to it wasn't remmed out.

If you switch off the alarm by holding your hand above the sensor at the top or middle of its sensing range everything will work fine, however if you hold it too close to the clock it will activate the unwanted 3rd level and lock up.

If you have access to a pic programmer I've attached an updated hex file, if not please contact me to arrange a replacement processor.

Sorry about that - we really did test everything repeatedly but there's always (at least) one that gets away.

Note that this only affects the first batch of kits.
Attachments
5-tube clock v1.1 piccode.rar
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 1200 times
Tony
Site Admin

Re: Alarm lockup firmware bug

Post by Tony »

Version with added AM/PM DP indicator in the minutes-tens tube.
Attachments
5-tube clock v1.1 PM DP piccode.rar
(7.79 KiB) Downloaded 1196 times
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

...and just in case anyone wants to play with the code, here is the .asm file. I think most of the profanities have been edited out of the comments ;)
Attachments
5-tube clock code Oct14.rar
(23.72 KiB) Downloaded 1271 times
maclark88

Post by maclark88 »

Tony wrote:...and just in case anyone wants to play with the code, here is the .asm file. I think most of the profanities have been edited out of the comments ;)
Tony, on the supplied assembler source. What assemble did you use to build this code?
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Just the standard microchip MPLAB IDE, version 8.90. The configuration bits should already be set in the code, processor type is 16f1827 and use a PICKIT3 to program.
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

As requested, a version which doesn't blank the leading zero in 12h mode :?
Attachments
5-tube clock 12h mod piccode.rar
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times
Skyraider

Post by Skyraider »

Hello Tony, could you provide the latest asm updated version? I would like to start from it to add the GPS fix code...
Thank you for that !
Skyraider

Post by Skyraider »

Hello,
please find here the fixed version (asm + hex) of the clock.
This version fixes the GPS issue (clock crash when GPS is not ready to transmit correct hhmmss strings)
I tested it, and it definitely fixes the issue! :P
do not hesitate to try it ! and give me back your comments
Attachments
5-tube_clock_code_apr18_correction_v1.zip
(33.61 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Hi,
Thanks - I haven't checked the forums for a few days. I'll give it a try over the weekend,

Tony.
Skyraider

Post by Skyraider »

Hello,
here is a new version of the code. I hope this is the final one!
Here is a description of the changes:
- Added parts of the GPS code that is taken from the "TimeFlies" kit ( I added the control of a valid GPS string : control of the character "A")
- Fixed the bug of the BST time that was not taken into account when connecting a GPS
- Fixed several bugs linked to the use of variables in bank1 (some variables in Bank1 were used in the code without the instruction "Banksel1" before them)

You can find all my fixes by searching "EBD" in the comments
This version is under test since the 03rd of July and I saw no default for the moment
Attachments
5-tube clock code_july2018.zip
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 749 times