powering up the board

Discussion for purchasers of our original IN-7 Nixie chessboard
fdastoor

powering up the board

Post by fdastoor »

Tony,

I have the big Black circuit board. I have just started and installed the initial components and am ready to do the first test. But I am confused as to where to apply the power leads. Since this is DC power I will need to place the +ve and -ve power leads in the right spots. There are no markings on the board. Also, the pictures you have of the black boards do not show the correct location. Can you please help me.

Phil
Tony
Site Admin

Re: powering up the board

Post by Tony »

It's shown in the 6th and last posts of the PCB assembly thread, second photo, under the original PCB:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10&start=14

The black circle is hidden a bit by the background colour though. Connect +12V to the resistor next to the ferrite marked by the red circle and - to the diode lead marked (just) by the black circle.
fdastoor

Post by fdastoor »

Sorry still unable to see the black circle. should the power lead be attached to the negative side of the diode [ away from the black stripe]?

phil
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Yes the -ve end of the 14V zener, closest to the PCB edge.
fdastoor

Post by fdastoor »

thanks a bunch Tony. Will eep you posted of progress
birdoxn035

Post by birdoxn035 »

Hi Tony,

Have recieved the kit and am loving it. Truly is a masterpiece. :D
I have a fully built piece and a board coil, and am putting the board components on as per the instructions.
Im up to the stage of the first power test, and dont actually have a power supply as yet. Im off to buy one, but before i did, i thought id check a couple of details. I know it has to be a 12v DC supply, but what kind of amps will it need to supply? If i got a 12v DC 3A or 5A power supply would that be enough?

Cheers,
Lachlan
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

For testing the first few coils you'll only need a couple of hundred milliamps. To run the completed board a 2.5-3A supply will be enough, I usually use the packs intended to supply LCD monitor panels.
birdoxn035

Post by birdoxn035 »

Ahh, awesome. Ok, I think i may have a 12v DC 5A power supply, but thought that might be too much and was going to go and buy one.

Cheers,
Lachlan
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

No that'll be fine.