Piece base PCB

Assembly instructions for our limited edition OXO board
jmmcg

Re: Piece base PCB - SMD version

Post by jmmcg »

Tony wrote:Tin the cut end of 2 pins then put a blob of solder on the pads shown here:

Looking from under the nixie, pins are counted clockwise from the gap
with the first to the right of it being pin 1.

Make four of these for use with 4x IN-7A/IN-7 for the '+'. pin 2 is connected to the pad marked 'HV' and pin 4 to the pad
next to D4.
Am I correct that the IN-7 is this item: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/ ... 7/in-7.htm?
jmmcg

Re: Piece base PCB

Post by jmmcg »

Tony wrote:If you have the later kit with IN-4 nixies use this picture - note the right-hand pin is slightly to the left of the pad on the PCB to allow the correct pin spacing.

XXXSnipXXX

The IN-4 is used for the '0' and has pin 10 connected to HV and pin 8 to
ground, which is the pad to the right. Again you'll need five of these.
Am I correct that the IN-4 is this item: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/ ... -4-sh2.htm?
jmmcg

Post by jmmcg »

Tony wrote:XXXsnipXXX
1. This looks somewhat different to my completed PCB. e.g. D5 is not installed. I presume the images are of a different version?
2. I assume the NIXIE is powered by some kind of HF transformer. What is the approximate signal that should be received by the PCB from the transformer coil on it? Is this a sine wave at what frequency? What is the peak-to-peak voltage?
3. At the terminals for powering the NIXIE what is the voltage profile that should appear there? I note the strike voltage is about 170V from the urls I found. Can you please confirm the peak-to-peak voltage & waveform.

Thanks!
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

D5 isn't used as the final design didn't need that many multiplier stages. It's an air cored transformer similar in operation to a flyback transformer.
The exact voltage will depend on the spacing but should be around 40-50V at D1. By the time it reaches the nixie you will have 200-250V, this will drop once the tube ignites to the operating voltage of that cathode.
On a scope it will appear as a group of spikes repeated at regular intervals, I can't remember the exact frequency for that version as it was only used in one batch, the later ones switched back to a 12V supply and a different frequency.
Tony
Site Admin

Re: Piece base PCB - SMD version

Post by Tony »

jmmcg wrote:
Tony wrote:Tin the cut end of 2 pins then put a blob of solder on the pads shown here:

Looking from under the nixie, pins are counted clockwise from the gap
with the first to the right of it being pin 1.

Make four of these for use with 4x IN-7A/IN-7 for the '+'. pin 2 is connected to the pad marked 'HV' and pin 4 to the pad
next to D4.
Am I correct that the IN-7 is this item: http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/ ... 7/in-7.htm?
Yes, those are the tubes. I switched from IN-7b
jmmcg

Post by jmmcg »

Tony wrote:XXXsnipXXX
On a scope it will appear as a group of spikes repeated at regular intervals, I can't remember the exact frequency for that version as it was only used in one batch, the later ones switched back to a 12V supply and a different frequency.
Thanks for the details!
My PCBs are black.
Can I safely assume that the frequency is less than 200kHz?
Sadly I managed to destroy one of the NIXIE driver PCBs due to my ham-fistedness. (First time ever working with surface-mount as opposed to discreet. The OXO kit was a present from a good friend, Robin, you might recall him.)
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

It's much lower than that. If you need any spares let me know as the piece PCBs are still availabe.
jmmcg

Post by jmmcg »

Tony wrote:It's much lower than that. If you need any spares let me know as the piece PCBs are still availabe.
I sent an email regarding the components I require. I hope you got it.
jmmcg

Post by jmmcg »

FYI a photo of the waveform "powering" the NIXIE.
Attachments
The test of the NIXIE PCB.
The test of the NIXIE PCB.
nixie pcb test 1.JPG (250.29 KiB) Viewed 10652 times
NIXIE PCB waveform. Note 10x voltage scale.
NIXIE PCB waveform. Note 10x voltage scale.
nixie pcb waveform 1.JPG (246.28 KiB) Viewed 10652 times