PCB assembly discussion

Tony
Site Admin

PCB assembly discussion

Post by Tony »

Suggestions for improvements, mistakes, hints here please.
leedawg

Re: PCB assembly discussion

Post by leedawg »

This part of the kit has gone together great, at first, it did not power up and I realized I had forgotten to solder in the fuses.

After the board was powered up all worked well for me, I did connect via Bluetooth to my laptop and opened a terminal window to the Bluetooth module. I sent the commands as outlined in the advanced user manual, however, I do not get a flash on the yellow LED. But the green LED does pulse slightly right when I hit the enter key. I did get a message back from the serial converter stating that the unit is receiving GPS time updates from the gps mouse. So I will update as I move on if everything works fine. So far seems to be going pretty well.

I would say one point of improvement on the case would be if it were milled from the opposite side so as the cut enters the material on what would be the outside of the case the holds would be very clean. The way it is milled right now the exiting side of the cut is what has to be the outside of the case so around the holes of the led's there is small chipping as the cutter moved through the material not as clean a cut and does not look as good. One could flip it over but with the switch, it can only go one way.

One other thing I wish I had noted a bit more before I cut all the leads off the LED's would have been to leave them all with about 3-4 mm of height off the board so the LED's would stick through the case a bit more if you put them flush with the board they will be very recessed in the holes vs sticking through the holes. Other than that whole thing went together great so looking forward to the next step.
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Agreed about the case, I'd made 60 of them before realising though. Usually I make the cases out of a stack of strips so the finish on the faces isn't important and slipped up by not checking this time.
Skyraider

Post by Skyraider »

leedawg wrote: ...After the board was powered up all worked well for me, I did connect via Bluetooth to my laptop and opened a terminal window to the Bluetooth module. I sent the commands as outlined in the advanced user manual, however, I do not get a flash on the yellow LED. But the green LED does pulse slightly right when I hit the enter key...
Hi, I have exactly the same behaviour: No visible flash on yellow LED but the green LED does pulse slightly when hitting the enter key...
The GPS signal is correctly received and the yellow Led flashes. Note that the range was very limited (3m max) with the 433Mhz emmitter (in the GPS module). To fix that, I removed the " piece of wire from the pad on the top right corner of the Tx module" and I soldered a 17.3cm antenna (thin insulated copper wire, diameter 0.3mm ) instead. I wrapped the antenna around the GPS mouse case. Now the range is excellent !
Skyraider

Post by Skyraider »

A little hint for the Battery switch:
Be aware that the switch is connected to nothing on the PCB. If you want to use it to switch off the batteries, you will have to connect it with a strap to the + batteries connection pad. The connection is described in the attached pictured (strap in Green color).
Attachments
Switch_Connection.jpg
Switch_Connection.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 14504 times
fdastoor

Post by fdastoor »

Thank you so much for your instructions regards the power controller switch. Your wiring modification works perfectly.

I spent days trying to figure out the problem with no success.

Dr Dastoor.
fdastoor

Post by fdastoor »

How does one start a new topic?

Is there a setting that will allow this forum to automatically inform me when a new post is made anywhere on this forum?

firdaus
fdastoor

Post by fdastoor »

Can you please describe in detail how you extended the range of the GPS? Very important to get my setup working.

Dr Firdaus Dastoor. { CALL ME pHIL OR fIRDAUS}
leedawg

Post by leedawg »

Skyraider wrote:
leedawg wrote: ...After the board was powered up all worked well for me, I did connect via Bluetooth to my laptop and opened a terminal window to the Bluetooth module. I sent the commands as outlined in the advanced user manual, however, I do not get a flash on the yellow LED. But the green LED does pulse slightly right when I hit the enter key...
Hi, I have exactly the same behaviour: No visible flash on yellow LED but the green LED does pulse slightly when hitting the enter key...
The GPS signal is correctly received and the yellow Led flashes. Note that the range was very limited (3m max) with the 433Mhz emmitter (in the GPS module). To fix that, I removed the " piece of wire from the pad on the top right corner of the Tx module" and I soldered a 17.3cm antenna (thin insulated copper wire, diameter 0.3mm ) instead. I wrapped the antenna around the GPS mouse case. Now the range is excellent !
Well inspite of the yellow LED not working I can confirm my clock is working and showing the correct time so do not worry about it much. I am now at the point where I am doing refinement tweaking to get everything right.