Powering up the complete parts

Assembly instructions for the V1 chessboard.
Tony
Site Admin

Re: Powering up the complete parts

Post by Tony »

403 Forbidden....

For once it may not be the forum settings breaking something? ;)
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

bstott wrote: I looked over the items and your clear instructional pictures. I'm Still Excited. A little overwhelmed. Stunned after opening the bags and seeing - sooo - many pieces.

Washed hands several times. A lot of dust. I'm not complaining. Just setting a visual for those still waiting.
All the cut parts are waterproof so it may be worth washing them. I'm going to give this a try for the next batch and must resist the temptation to shove them in the tumble drier.....
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Tony wrote:403 Forbidden....

For once it may not be the forum settings breaking something? ;)
How's this?
ux_a11121900ux0472_ux_c.jpg
ux_a11121900ux0472_ux_c.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 25905 times
EDIT: I wonder why I had to make the picture an attachment before it worked... It may still be a forum setting that somehow blocked the picture.
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Have you thought of using the board terminal thumbnuts on your power supply output? - I could include a couple of extras for it.
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Tony wrote:Have you thought of using the board terminal thumbnuts on your power supply output? - I could include a couple of extras for it.
Nothing is finalized yet, so go ahead and throw the extra brass thumbnuts in. Brass thumbnuts on the brass power supply terminals would be a nice touch. My brass terminals won't arrive for a month or so though...

The bottom of the wood base will have some sort of brass clasp and hinges. When opened you'll be able to see the power supply mounted inside with brass terminals, and now brass thumbnuts. :D Thanks again!

EDIT: 2 extra brass thumbnuts and 2 extra brass bolts please. My steel bolts would ruin the look.
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!
Salt Maple

Post by Salt Maple »

So I powered up the pieces you finished Tony. Very cool to see it live. I didn't use my multimeter because I wasn't sure if I should run it in series or parallel. I had soldered both pos/neg onto the board before I realized that wont work for testing in series and then I got a little excited and forgot to see if I could get a reading in parallel. I'll try parallel tonight. I'm not what you would call an electronics guru. Or even knowledgable in the least :oops: I'm great at following instructions though :D thanks.
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Salt Maple wrote:So I powered up the pieces you finished Tony. Very cool to see it live. I didn't use my multimeter because I wasn't sure if I should run it in series or parallel. I had soldered both pos/neg onto the board before I realized that wont work for testing in series and then I got a little excited and forgot to see if I could get a reading in parallel. I'll try parallel tonight. I'm not what you would call an electronics guru. Or even knowledgable in the least :oops: I'm great at following instructions though :D thanks.
Current readings in series with the supply, voltage in parallel - smoke might result in trying the reverse ;)
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

The parts I'm looking at for building the base box I've been designing have already broken $300 WITHOUT THE WOOD... Solid brass prices are insane... That and I'm looking at the best quality shit... But, it will look awesome if my wallet allows me to buy the parts.

It will have a top cover that contains the pieces as well in my current design. And I would appreciate 10 extra brass thumbnuts and 10 extra brass bolts. That would keep the look consistent. Would you be willing to throw those in? Or should I pay a few extra quid?

This is gonna be the most expensive single project EVER (for me at least)...
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Solid brass hardware is very expensive these days, probably a combination of high metal prices (or devalued $/£) and lower volume manufacturing as there's not as much demand for it now. At a rough guess I'd say two thirds of the cost of the baseboard hardware is the brass and one third Tufnol.
I could include a few but if you find you need extra and want to buy them direct you can find them here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270661091075
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Wouldn't this be a better deal? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-M4-Old-Style ... 439aad8b93

I should only need the 10 extra brass thumbnuts and 10 extra brass bolts, so if you're including them I should be set as the rest of the hardware includes the brass screws. I would really appreciate you throwing them in as then I won't have to spend even more money... But I will send you a few extra quid if you want me to.

These brass parts are gonna bankrupt me... The steel and aluminum parts I'm used to getting are dirt cheap in comparison...

The design is completed in my head, but to build it will likely take me into next summer at minimum...
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!