Powering up the complete parts

Assembly instructions for the V1 chessboard.
Tony
Site Admin

Re: Powering up the complete parts

Post by Tony »

The_Ed wrote:Maybe people just don't bother to make "another" account? Or maybe the instructions are good enough to keep them occupied in the building stage.

Do you know of any "good looking" power supplies? Or do I just have to use an ugly one...

*The edit/delete issue still hasn't been fixed.
I just used a laptop/monitor brick, hide it out of the way and if you can use cotton covered cable to connect it to the board.

I've changed a few more settings, edit should work now.
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

SpankyMcSpank wrote:
Tony wrote:I know all the first batch of kits have been received and no posts.... was the shock that bad?
<envy> ;)

Any indication of when next batch will be shipped??

:)
Should be starting in the middle of the week, I'll send you the tracking number as soon as it's booked.
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

Salt Maple wrote:I had a little time tonight and went through the whole kit. Organized and separated almost everything, the nut and bolt bag will get done when I empty a suitable tray. I was thinking I want to wet sand everything to start. Give all the pieces a nice polished look. That will give me a little time to think about how to tackle this monster :D

I did find one nixie base piece that was broken. The open end had 1-2 mm broken off 80% around. I could cut the rest off but it will sit lower then the others. Guess this is why you sent two extra.

Tony, could you send me, or post a picture of a close up shot of one of your finished chess piece, from the side please? I have a grand idea for a finish for them but I am not sure if it is suitable.

I think you are worrying to much. Your kit is great and is exactly as advertised. We all got a warning. I would think most people would wait a few days to a few months before they start putting it together. Not many people I know have much free time, I only get an hour or two a night a few nights a week. I am not sure where I will find the time, but I will eventually and I look forward to it.
Thank you for the feedback - I was hoping to hear what problems there may have been before sending out the next batch.

You could use the damaged base for practice finishes, if you find you do need another I can send one by royal mail ordinary packets reasonably cheaply. The flat parts shouldn't need much sanding as it's mostly loose material that will wipe or scrape off. The bases will need it though....

There's a few pictures here:

http://www.lasermad.com/photostemp

Let me know if you can't find anything suitable and I'll take a couple more.
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Those are some awesome pics. And Edit does indeed work again.

I'm kinda dreading the part/broken/missing count I'll have to do... Especially since I'll have to make sure I have enough of all the components for the checkers bases too...

For the power supply I'm thinking I might make a wood base that the chessboard sits in, with an ugly but functional power supply hidden inside. So just 2 solid brass power leads, a toggle switch, and the power cord coming from the wood base would be visible. It'll have to have a nice dark stain too to match the chessboard. It would be next year before I'd be able to start making a wood base for it though...

EDIT: Why is your username Tony, but your paypal Anthony Adams? Is Tony a nickname? Just curious.
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!
Tony
Site Admin

Post by Tony »

The_Ed wrote:Those are some awesome pics. And Edit does indeed work again.

I'm kinda dreading the part/broken/missing count I'll have to do... Especially since I'll have to make sure I have enough of all the components for the checkers bases too...

For the power supply I'm thinking I might make a wood base that the chessboard sits in, with an ugly but functional power supply hidden inside. So just 2 solid brass power leads, a toggle switch, and the power cord coming from the wood base would be visible. It'll have to have a nice dark stain too to match the chessboard. It would be next year before I'd be able to start making a wood base for it though...

EDIT: Why is your username Tony, but your paypal Anthony Adams? Is Tony a nickname? Just curious.
It's a common abbreviation here, like Ed for Edward would be.

You could have a look at using Tufnol for the power supply box to match the board but it's not cheap if you're going to use a large quantity. I wouldn't worry about broken parts, I'll include a few extra and I'll pack the piece bases in a different way in this next batch.
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

Anthony -> I think I see it now!

Even if I were to make a Tufnol power supply box, there would still be a box with wires which doesn't look very good... Getting the power supply out of sight completely would be ideal. Thus a base concealing the power supply sounds like the right thing to do.

The piece bases are laminated together right? And that 1 that broke just sheared off a layer? Are you going to wrap some thin packing foam around each one to cushion them better? Or some other method?
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!
Salt Maple

Post by Salt Maple »

Saying you are an adept photographer would be an understatement. There are some gorgeous pics in there. Better then I could have hoped for. In fact the pictures have made me raise the priority of this project. I really like how the pieces look without the base, the nixie sitting on the PCB on the coil. It is very 1960s sci-fi.
bstott

Post by bstott »

I would have posted but, I couldn't get registered. Something ...

Anyway, got the kit a few days ago. Too late for my frazzled nerves to build amid my piles of not working displays for a Maker Faire on Saturday.

I looked over the items and your clear instructional pictures. I'm Still Excited. A little overwhelmed. Stunned after opening the bags and seeing - sooo - many pieces.

Washed hands several times. A lot of dust. I'm not complaining. Just setting a visual for those still waiting.

Looked at the cuts and things. Pro PCBs would be very nice knowing you designed, routed and ordered as an individual. I did my own board last year. A very simple LED dimmer. I like to look at that little pro board knowing this ignernt know nuttin fingered it out. ;-) But, also your rough CNC'd boards have their particular appealing character too. They are - The First! Smug, ha, ha, ha.

Thanks for the blog link to your posting of other board pics. They are beautiful, motivating and of course give more info on construction.

I am proud to be able to get this very unique and attractive item from an ingenious man.

Than you again and again.
SpankyMcSpank

Post by SpankyMcSpank »

bstott wrote:I am proud to be able to get this very unique and attractive item from an ingenious man.

Than you again and again.
Touché
:)
The_Ed

Post by The_Ed »

I will be using the brass terminals out of these to get the power out of the wood base and into the nixie chessboard. $4.13 shipped for 3 of these on ebay. It will be seamless, they should match perfectly with the rest of the brass parts. The only wire that will be visible will be the power supply cord coming from the bottom of the wood base. There will be a toggle switch above the cord to turn it on or off. What do you think Tony?
ux_a11121900ux0472_ux_c.jpg
ux_a11121900ux0472_ux_c.jpg (38.72 KiB) Viewed 26339 times
Last edited by The_Ed on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!