PCB assembly discussion

Tony
Site Admin

PCB assembly discussion

Post by Tony »

Suggestions for improvements, mistakes, hints here please.
leedawg

Re: PCB assembly discussion

Post by leedawg »

Been a pretty easy build so far really enjoying it. I have been using solder paste and heat gun method for soldering the SMD components sure makes it easy compared to using a soldering Iron, especially for the IC packages like the pic controller. I ran into one hiccup in the process when I plugged the unit in seems as though my particular power supply did not have enough power, to power the whole unit the GPS receiver led lights up but the red led on the PCB controlled by the pic did not light up hardly at all. Tried a different power supply and unit worked great just as described in the build directions. I let Tony know he states that this is probably an anomaly, and he has powered lots of kits with this power supply and they work great. So if you happen to run into this issue try a different power supply like a cell phone charging batter etc.

I also found the case needs to have all the holes on the flats sanded down a bit to make the bolts go all the way through and have enough threads exposed to allow the nuts to thread on and hold the case together.

Really impressed with the quality of the PCB even has the metal inserts at all through holes which makes it a true joy to solder components into place.
fdastoor

Hints about extending range of transmitter

Post by fdastoor »

To those who have completed builds of the clock.

Can you give hints regards improving the range of the transistor.

Also any one have a source from which to purchase the appropriate 433 transmitter?

firdaus
Tony
Site Admin

Re: PCB assembly discussion

Post by Tony »

There are plenty of sellers on ebay for the transmitter as it's a common component. The receiver in the power controller is the expensive bit, i chucked the cheap receivers usually sold with the transmitters and used a laser-tuned ceramic module.